Monday, November 24, 2008

Omnikin Ball


I had it completely planned out to play Kin Ball in class today for my lesson. I was very excited, I actually felt calm and ready to teach. Calm went to extremely nervous and rattled quickly. Wow! I now have had the experience of changing a lesson plan on the spot. Thank goodness for being prepared with several activities in a lesson plan. Unfortunately, the large Omnikin ball that was supposed to be provided to me was unavailable. I had to subsitute a large exercise ball in its place. However, this ball was too heavy to play Kin Ball and I also felt that it would be completely unsafe to hit this ball in the air towards other students. I had to quickly change my game plan to include cooperative games for the class. I found it harder to adapt to the new game plan as my visuals were no longer geared toward my lesson. I still showed my Kin Ball video to the class, which seemed to amaze them. And I still taught about the game as the video was playing. From the feedback I received from some of the other students, they thought I handled this change pretty well and still did a good job with my lesson. However, my time flew by quickly and before I knew it, my time was up. In this time, I forgot to do some of the things that I originally planned. The class never received their quiz at the end of the class time and I definately forgot to check for understanding. I was also planning on the students being peer teachers by helping each other serve the Omnikin ball and getting into defensive positions.

I also had a couple of situations arise in class. I think it is much harder to deal with these situations in our setting. I have worked with students while substitute teaching, as well as being a swim lesson instructor and a camp counselor. Situations arise in these settings and I find it easier to take care of. I had poor behavior in class and I thought I did a pretty good job of getting it under control. But when someone has a fake injury, it is very hard to decide what to do. A student was supposed to be choking. But I know through my medical background that he was fine because he was talking, coughing, and breathing. Was I suppose to pretend like he wasn't and act accordingly? Call me crazy, but I think these situations are easier to handle when they are happening for real.
I finished listening to my MP3 and filled out my feedback form. I did a horrible job of giving feedback to the students. I did not really have any specific skills that they were learning that day other than to work as a team and communicate. I originally planned a bunch of different skills with cues, but with the change in the lesson plan, I did not use these. I did a lot of safety reminders and behavior reminders to the entire class rather than giving specific comments to individuals.
Time Coding:

No comments: