Thursday, November 13, 2008

Scavenger Hunt

I had never thought about incorporating a scavenger hunt into a lesson plan before. I thought that this activity was a great way to get the entire class moving, make it a competition so everyone is motivated, and allows students to think. Probably my favorite part of the scavenger hunt was when my group sang to a lady in the Pool Side area while doing the Captain Morgan pose. It made me laugh then, and still does whenever I see it on my phone. I think that the clues need to be very specific. We had a disagreement about one of the clues and our team was resourceful and creative when coming up with the answer, yet we did not receive credit. I also think this is an activity for high school students only, unless there are enough teachers and aids to go around with every group of students to make sure nothing happens while they are on their hunts.
In the future, I would consider creating teams like we did for the scavenger hunt. I think it was good for us to make our own flags and a pose to come together as a team. I would consider different ways to allow the team to create some kind of unity before an activity. I also like this type of activity because it forced us to cooperate with eachother, come up with different solutions, and communicate as a team.
Inter disciplinary teaching works only to a certain extent. I could see this type of activity being a real problem in younger students, as they think because they are by themselves, they can misbehave. It is beneficial to the students, because it helps them to learn how to control their behavior and how they appear in the public and without adult supervision at all times.
This lesson kept me active for almost the entire period. I have a period of time that my HR monitor was collecting data before we were actually supposed to start, so it calculated my HR when I was not being active. Once we began the scavenger hunt, my group was running, jogging, or speed walking at all times, except when taking pictures. This allowed me to keep my HR in the higher zone that we want it to be in during a Phys. Ed. class. Most all the drops in my HR were when my group was taking pictures of the scavenger clues we found.

No comments: